The Cross Baitoa

The Cross Baitoa

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

FOOD... need I say more...

Food glorious food! The Dominican cuisine is yummy, flavorful, but not spicy or as bold as other Carribbean or Latin American flavors. There are about 4 or 5 staples that are eaten pretty much every day or every other day. I'm really thankful that these happen to be foods that I like, otherwise this could be really, really tough!

Rice... white rice, rice and pigeon peas or beans cooked together, sometimes corn is added. This dish is also called a locrio when it contains a little meat, salami or sausage mixed in.

Platanos and Yuca -- Yuca are like a super starchy potato with an extra thick skin. Plaintains are larger than bananas, with a thicker skin and if mature are super sweet. Plaintains and yuca are often boiled and served with a boiled or fried egg. Plantains are also commonly served  sliced and double fried (oh yeah, my LDL cholesterol just went UP!) and seasoned with a pinch of salt. Basically this is what my Puerto Rican friends call tostones minus the yummy garlicky stuff on the side.
Peeling plaintains are a lot more work than peeling bananas.

Slice plaintains not too thin, not too thick. 
Frying #1 (s/n - eggs are not refrigerated here)
Smash the plaintains, then fry AGAIN!!












Avocado -- we have an avocado tree in the back yard which is a huge plus.  Plus I just happened to arrive at the height of avocado season-- YAY!! I learned the other day that avocado season is almost over which makes me really, really sad. I may have to adjust my food budget to allow for the purchase of several avocados weekly. It's amazing how they can brighten up the most boring meal, ie think yuca and boiled egg, boring.... add avocado, some lime or vinegar and salt... YUM!

Coffee -- I almost forgot the ubiquitous coffee... I remember my first cup of Dominican coffee... so yummy and SWEET!! No milk usually, but occasionally someone offers you milk. If the coffee is prepared and offered to you be prepared for a really sweet coffee. At least 3 if not 4 or 5 teaspoons of sugar. A recent trip to the Campo netted like 4 cups of coffee in a 6 hour period. There was coffee when we arrived at 9am, coffee after the morning soup,  coffee before lunch at 12, coffee after lunch, and at least another 1 or 2 offerings of coffee that I politely declined. The funny thing is I don't feel like the coffee here gives me any energy boost. It just like a yummy sweet treat at the end of a meal, or to tie you over until another meal.


Kibbe or Quipe -- my first trial of Dominican street food. Sorry, but I'm not so sure on the spelling. Honestly, Dominicans are quite creative when it comes to spelling, so I don't feel too bad about making this one up. These are Middle Eastern in origin and remind me of the Kefta skewers or sandwiches at Middle Eastern places, like Grapeleaves in Oak Park, IL. The Kibbe or Quipe are the size of a mini football, and also oval shaped. The outer core is a fried grain, maybe bulgur, with a center of seasoned ground meat. I've only had this once, just 5 days ago, and it was really good... but isn't everything that is fried really good??
I'm sure this is rich in fiber!
 Does that make up for the frying?

OK, I confess to sneaking a bite before grabbing the camera!
 Hence, one end is flat!







3 comments:

  1. Jewel!! I so enjoy "catching up" with you via your wonderful blog :) Today I'm enjoying your foodie post on the flavors of the DR and your cook book ready photos of tostones, or as the Ticos call them patacones. Yum!! I need to find a press like that next time we're in CR. I've been using the bottom of a glass for the longest...anyway...
    You are often in my thoughts and prayers. Savor each moment (even literally) there in the DR as time goes so quickly.
    Dios le bendiga amiga!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the coffee have a strong flavor--the reason for the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think so, but I'm not a good judge!! I didn't start drinking coffee until 2 or 3 years ago, and I like my coffee strong! Double shot of espresso please :).

    ReplyDelete