The Cross Baitoa

The Cross Baitoa

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Arepa Dulce Dominican Style

I have an insatiable sweet tooth! I will choose sweet over salty anytime! Yes, yes, I know the way to kill this sweet tooth is to avoid sugar and eventually the sugar cravings will disappear. But I like sugar... a lot! SO, I don't think I want it to disappear, but I've worked on my discipline and most days I can control myself.... but not TODAY!! 

So, the google search for recipes started. And I stumbled onto this blogpost for arepa de maiz dulce. Looks easy enough. Hey, wait... I actually know this lady. I forgot Molly writes a blog too. That made it extra exciting to try this recipe. I do have a competitive streak sometime, and it came out. If she can make Arepa Dulce.... well, I can TOO!! 

So here are the ingredients: That silver shiny pot thingy is a coffee greco. It makes the best espresso! good souvenir too! My cake pan cost me 180 pesos (almost $5.00).  Yes, that was a SPLURGE for me! 




1 lb of fine corn meal (I could only find 14 oz packages)
3/4-1 cup of brown sugar ( I used azucar crema - its the sugar thats most easily found here. I didn't feel like adding the molasses to make my own brown sugar. You did know that you can make brown sugar, right?)
1 tsp vanilla (Dominican vanilla is cheap and GOOD!)
1/2 tsp salt
2-8 tbsp of butter (you decide- can your heart handle it??)
1 can evaporated milk
1 can coconut milk (LOVE THIS)
1/2-1 cup of raisins ( couldn't find golden raisins. I like them a lot better)
1/4 -1/2 cup water
Cinnamon - ground or sticks

In one bowl mix the corn meal, evaporated milk, vanilla and raisins. If using ground cinnamon add it here - 1-2 tsp based on your preference. I added about a 1/4 cup water be/c it was stiff.  Let sit. 

Next you are going to find a big sauce pot. Turn stove on to med low heat. Add the coconut milk, salt, sugar, butter, and cinnamon sticks if using sticks. Turn oven on to 350 to pre-heat. If using a Dominican oven... well, your guess is as good as mine. Strike the match, throw it inside, guess the temperature. 

I tried to be fancy and added 2 cloves and 2 nuggets of allspice. They are both super cheap here. I wanted to use nutmeg, but someone (my host dad- Amalio) used it up either in the coffee or the habichuela dulce (sweet beans). I can't complain because I like how he makes coffee with a little fresh ground nutmeg.  Habichuela dulce will have it's own post, VERY, very, Soon!!! It's an Easter Classic, although I've had it at least monthly since October or November.

When you start seeing little bubbles, not boiling, but simmering/bubbling, add the corn meal mixture. and STIR, and STIR, and STIR for like 5 minutes until it becomes ssmooth and pudding like. Then turn the stove off and pour into your well greased pan. 


Remember, to take out the cinnamon stick, cloves, allspice, etc if you used them. This was a pain because it was hard to tell the cloves and allspice from the raisins. I probably wouldn't use them next time. I don't think it added much "depth". Also, I probably would simmer the cinnamon sticks and coconut milk a little longer on a lower flame just to build more cinnamon flavor. I'm sure there will be a next time :).

OK, so a couple of recipes on line suggested adding some pats of butter on top to ensure that crispy crust on the outside and moist center. I'm not sure that it was really necessary and my heart really didn't need it. BUT, if you are making dessert, just go for it.... maybe.

So bake maybe an half hour. It totally depends on the oven. You want a firm, golden brown outside, and the inside should be moist, but not wet or jiggly. My oven was being weird, like most Dominican ovens. The outside was a little too brown, and the inside was a little too moist. I guess I will just have to make this again until I get it perfected!! :)


And this was dinner tonight! Serve with coffee, milk, or  Dominican style hot chocolate. I enjoyed my slice with a chai tea that arrived in a care package from a dear friend. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. ooo! Looks yummy! ...and if you can do it down in the DR, than I can do it here! -maybe for next mo. pearl snacks! :) btw, we miss you.

    ReplyDelete