The Cross Baitoa

The Cross Baitoa

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Uninvited guest

So, it's late by my standards and I really should be in bed. I really would like to be in bed, except I was greeted by an uninvited guest when I walked into the room.


The picture does not do it justice.... really!
I remember my first night here when this arthropod's twin decided to make an appearance. I almost freaked out, but I had just met these nice people so I had to keep it together. Tonight the little critter comes back and I'm not so sure about keeping it together. I want to go to bed, really I do, but I'm sitting here keeping vigil over this HUGE spider on my ceiling. The spider's body and legs are the size of the palm of my hand. There are tarantulas in the DR, but I've been reassured that this is not a tarantula. Something tells me he is going to win and I'm just going to have to get some shut eye before the rooster starts crowing.  (yes, there is a rooster and a hen right outside my door, but that's an entirely different post!)
Mosquito net, picture is from another day but it gives you an idea of how close
the above arthropod is to my bed.  Critter is to the right of the window. Not good. 

So, I'm glad I have my handy dandy mosquito net. One of my last purchases the night before I left, but boy, oh boy, this thing has been a HUGE help. I have the ritual down packed now. Tuck all of the edges under the mattress. Turn on the flashlight and inspect bed for uninvited critters. Ease in through the narrow gap and close the gap with a clothespin. Turn flashlight back on for a repeat inspection. Do some self talk... if there are no critters inside now, and all of the ends are tucked in, there is no way for a new critter to join you in the bed. Close one eye, peek around the bed one more time with the one eye that's open, then close it shut, real quick, fall asleep, quick, quick, quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment