The Cross Baitoa

The Cross Baitoa

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Prayers answered


Yesterday marked exactly 30 days since I returned from Christmas holiday. It's been a fairly busy 30 days with getting readjusted, welcoming my first guest to the island, and figuring out my revised schedule since the changes in the mobile clinic.   As I thought about this last month, I am extremely grateful for the many prayers answered.  Hopefully, many of you received my Christmas update letter that provided updates on my Praises and Prayer Needs. In case you don't remember, here it is below. 




So, let me testify about some of the prayers that have been answered already! Forming friendships when you are living outside of your home country is challenging for many reasons that are varied and complex. About 3 weeks ago, a lady stopped by the house and introduced herself. She was looking for someone to practice English with and I guess the word on the street was that the ladies who live in the corner house speak English. Small community, word travels I guess. Well, Melanie who is the superb English teacher extraordinaire is extremely busy, so this nice lady was introduced to me. Maybe Jewel can help. We chatted and exchanged some basic information and made a plan to meet. We have met together just 2 times so far, but our times of conversation have really been a blessing. My new friend is named Carola. She is a sweet Christian woman who happens to live just down the street. Our 2nd meeting/English lesson was really more of a devotion time. We read the Our Daily Bread devotion (www.odb.com) in English and discussed how it applied to our lives. Carola is also helping me with my Spanish so we are spending about half the time chatting in English and the other half chatting in Spanish. I count that as 2 prayers answered with one stone.

Another prayer need was the suspension of the medical clinic. Unfortunately the clinic has not yet been restarted, so please continue to pray. However, I'm thankful that one of the 3 staff members has found another employment, which means he and his family can stay in the country a while longer! He is super thankful to be working again in the medical field. This is temporary work, so please pray that a permanent opening will become available. For me, it's been really difficult not having a health focus as part of my ministry here. This week there has been a short term medical trip less than a quarter mile up the street from the school. The team is mostly Nurse Practitioners, Physicians and Dentist from Indiana Purdue University. I had the pleasure of working with them for 2 days this week. Oh the joy of doing patient care again! They were so surprised to find a FNP here and I was so grateful to God for sending them my way!

Thank you for partnering with me in prayer! I read once that we should make more of a habit of writing our prayer requests down so we can clearly see how God is answering our prayers. Try keeping a journal record of your prayer requests, like a prayer log, and start crossing off the many prayers that God is answering.

The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. James 5:16 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment