The Cross Baitoa

The Cross Baitoa

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sisterhood

Sisterhood is a super special phenomenon. I have often thought if I was to write a book, or many books, one would have to be on this topic of sisterhood and the phenomenal, amazing affirming ties that form in sisterhood circles. I have been blessed with one biological sister but a number of 'sister-friends'. These women are near and dear to my heart, have walked through good and bad days, the dry, winter seasons of life,  new experiences and some disappointments along the way. Sisterhood doesn't come without it's share of pain, and the loss of a few of these sister bonds have been extremely painful.

This week I was intrigued at how early the sisterhood/sister bonding/nurturing behavior begins. In a conversation with Melanie this week, she commented on how formed the friendships are in the kindergarten class. And it's true... on many occasions I have watched these little 5 year olds be the most loving, nurturing, affirming sister to each other. The other day I gave every one new assigned seats. One little girl, Leslie, refused to sit in her seat and instead insisted on standing near the door. I gave several gentle nudgings to get Leslie to take a seat and it just was not happening. To avoid becoming more of a distraction to the other 17 pairs of eyes, I decided to go on with the lesson, and to re-address Leslie once the group was on their way with the morning activity. As I started our day, I noticed that where I had positioned Leslie was at an end seat with the only person for her to interact with being Juan, a little boy. For some of my 5yr old girls, this is devastating. For others of the 5yr old girls, they are way TOO interested in interacting with the boys, but that's a whole 'nother blog post. Once the group was off and running on the morning work, I rearranged the seats just a bit so that Leslie was sitting next to Anyi and Juan. She scooted her seat close to Anyi and promptly sat down. Mission accomplished, score 1 for the teacher!! What happened next was so gentle and thoughtful. Anyi got up from her seat and helped Leslie get settled in. Give me your mochila (backpack) she said to Leslie and arranged that on the back of the chair, she took the homework book to the designated spot and put her new neighbor at ease. I know it seems minor, but I was just awed by how perceptive Anyi was to notice that Leslie probably needed that reassurance and welcoming from her new neighbor.


From age 5 to 105, the blessing of sisterhood should be treasured. It really is a priceless gift if you have a true sister/sister-friend. Today my sister Joyce celebrated her 30th (NOT!!) birthday and while I can't be with her today, she has been on my mind all day. So precious are the memories that we share. For me, I really didn't even appreciate the shared memories, the understanding of the crazy wackiness of your family... and every family has their share, and the sacrifices you make for each other until adulthood.  I remember my first night in Chicago alone, Joyce called right after I dropped mom off at the airport. Man, what timing. She patiently held the phone while I sobbed and went into the ugly girl cry for at least 5 minutes. It was ugly, pull to the side of the road and get yourself together ugly girl cry.  She was patient, loving and understanding. I also strategically made sure Joyce was in the room when I 'threw out' the idea of moving to the DR. Who else could diffuse the tension, ask all the right questions, and help put my mom's mind at ease and reassure her that the baby girl was not completely crazy. I love my sister. She is amazing. She reminds me so much of my mom, because she is always going and doing for others, and I have to remind her to take care of Joyce. I'm so blessed that I have a sister who watches out for her little sister, and supports me in all of my crazy adventures, and so patiently holds down the fort, aka mom and dad, while her little sister is off following her dreams.  Always sisters, Always Friends..... so true! I love you sister!






1 comment:

  1. My husband and I cant wait for you to post new pictures of your adventure in the DR..We are From Santiago..I have been away for 21 years..I lived in NY and now in NJ with my husband and my 2 children.My parents moved back there and I go every summer to visit them.You have a beautiful heart, God bless you.

    ReplyDelete