The Cross Baitoa

The Cross Baitoa

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Let's move it... walking

It's Saturday morning... and I just returned from my morning walk. I woke up excited to go for a walk today. Usually I'm dragging myself out of bed on Saturdays to maybe do a brief exercise circuit.  I'm off the regular weekday walking schedule because my walking buddy and next door neighbor, Chiquita,  has family visiting from the US. After a week of being lazy I decided that I was more than ready to move it, move it. We have walked the same route enough that I felt safe to venture out by myself.

Shortly into the walk I realized that I was sort of making a mental note of all of the 'not normal', but normal for here stuff that I was seeing. Wow, I probably looked really cheesy walking with a stupid grin as I took it all in. It was pretty funny. So, here goes the list. No pictures though, because who goes walking with a camera :).

1.  Are those carcasses? Yes, they are... oh no, I just saw that one get beheaded. Oh, and there is the next goat waiting his turn. Note to self... no goat meat please.

2.  Sidewalk food stands... so this is where it's happening on Saturday mornings. All of the stands that are always parked and empty are busy on Saturday frying salami, serving up yucca and onions or spaghetti to hungry folks. Strangers sit down at a table together and enjoy a quick meal on the go.  Chicago may have some competition for the food truck scene.

3.  Street salesmen who carry all sorts of wares on their head. He was calling out that he had beans for sale, but what's on his head are flowers. I thought I misunderstood (which is completely likely) until the old lady came to her gate asking for beans. I couldn't stick around for his explanation. I gotta keep moving.

Well, there was other stuff too on my list, I promise, BUT I came home and showered and dressed, etc, etc, and I can't remember the rest of my list anymore. I promise you it was really amusing. Is this a sign of old age??

Anyway, about 1/2 way into the walk I was reminded of something that I have not done in quite some time, prayer walking.  Are you familiar with prayer walking? It's a great way to be mindful to pray without ceasing. As I passed businesses, I prayed for economic growth for the DR. I also prayed about the distribution of wealth that has created such disparities between the upper and lower class. When I passed a group of concho drivers (public shared cars) I prayed for safety on the highways. Accidents are the number one cause of death here. I passed a church and prayed that God would continue to raise up Biblically grounded leaders and bring a spiritual revival to the people. I prayed for everything and anything that I passed. I prayed intently and fervently and before I knew it I was almost home.  I may have a new Saturday morning routine!

1Timothy 2:1-3 (The Message)   The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment