The Cross Baitoa

The Cross Baitoa

Monday, May 13, 2013

Meet Robert

Meet Robert.


Robert Luis is one of the l8 five year olds that I have had the privilege of teaching over this last year.  Robert has worn glasses for most of his five year old life. However, they are usually hand me down glasses, that often don't fit well. Mom, has a hard time getting Robert back for follow-up visits so I really don't know how old the prescription is on these glasses. What I do know is that Robert still can't see with the glasses on.






So, Robert passes most of his days getting himself into trouble. Because, what is a kid to do when you can't see the board, nor the paper that is right in front of you, or the book that is 3 fingers away from your nose.  If you are Robert, you climb under the table, you run out into the hallway, you try fighting with the other boys. If you are Robert, that usually doesn't go so well, because he can't really see the other boys to hit them, so he throws a lot of air punches. The other boys, can always see Robert and their punches hurt.









Guess what?? Robert got new glasses 3 days ago. His mom took out a pretty significant loan to take Robert to a local eye doctor and a special pediatric optics place to get glasses that actually fit, are child friendly (Green - Robert's favorite color and plastic), and are the correct prescription!! Woo-Hoo! I must tell you as his teacher I was hoping for a Robert that would sit still and get some work done instead of wandering all over the place. Did. Not. Happen. I'm still hoping, but I imagine it's a process. But at recess, I was looking out at the playground and guess what. Robert can play now! Robert can socialize with other kids. Is that Robert in the line for the slide??

Notice that there is no gap in the line. Robert can keep up now!

That never would have happened before. Robert would barely make it to step #1 or  2 before the other kids would pass him up as he tried to find his way back down.  C'mon now, this is the slide. The most popular thing on the playground so you can't be holding up the line. It really was a safety hazard as the kid could not see the step! If you could see Robert now. Robert went up the slide over and over again. Then down the slide backwards. Then up the slide side instead of the steps.  He had so much fun. Check him out!

Well, I must admit that I had some ulterior motives in introducing you to Robert. He is one really cute kid... and pretty smart too.  Those glasses and the consult cost a nice chunk of money and the loan is fairly significant for this family of five.  I'm not sure of mom's plan for paying it off, but as you mother's out there know, that a true mom will find a way to move mountains for her baby! Mom took a big leap of faith with this loan.  Melanie and I were chatting and trying to figure out how to best help this family.  Melanie got to talking to some friends via social media and before we knew it some $$$ started rolling in. I was working on this blogpost all weekend but blogger was being really crazy and erased my post. Then last night I got a surprise donation on my Pay it Square fundraising page!  What an unexpected and surprise blessing!!  Thank you LORD!!! We now have enough to pay for the consult, the glasses and are well on the way to being able to purchase a spare pair!!

I'm praising God for these wonderful blessings!

1 comment: